You’ve been there haven’t you? You can get there in so many different circumstances. It can apply to relationships or health issues or finances. Mine came with Cox Communications.
You’ve all seen the video of the guy trying to break up with ComCast? I identify. I wasn’t trying to break up with them. (Actually they are hanging on by a thread because we ditched cable tv from them and just kept the internet.) I was trying to change the credit card my autopay was charged to every month.
I was rather disgruntled about the whole process in the first place. We have had the same credit card for 30 years. Twice they have changed our account numbers when items appeared on the statement that were not ours. This time they claim they needed to issue new cards and account numbers because they were “growing” and needed to update. Bull! I theorize their data was compromised internally by a hacker and thus everyone got new cards. It is just a smoke screen they are giving us as a reason. And this same 2 week period required a new issuance of my debit card by another bank because I used it at Home Depot once in the last 6 months. Why aren’t they getting cards with chips like the rest of the world uses? But I digress…
Today the new card had to be activated and the old one was killed at their end. So I made a list of all the places that I use the old numbered card to auto pay bills, etc. Of the 6 websites I visited this morning to accomplish my task, all were a piece of cake except for Cox. All of them sent me a verifying email that the new card was in effect. Not Cox. Their website is a tangled mess anyway, so I needed to know if the change I made went through. They encouraged me to call them on their account hotline with any issues I had. So I called.
It took me about 10 minutes on their automated line to finally believe me when I pushed “0” to talk to an representative. Then I was shuffled to 3 actual people before I got to one that would help me. Oh, I shouldn’t have said help. She took all my information to access the account. I asked her to verify that the changes I made online had gone through. She asked who I was. Whoops! It seems I am not authorized to make changes to the account. Only my husband could make those changes. Never mind I had spent almost a half hour on their site doing just that. I told her all I needed from her was the last 4 digits of the card that would be billed. Simple. No big disclosure on her part there. She insisted she could not do it. She suggested I have (my extremely busy and overworked) husband do this. She would be glad to help him or to have him add me as an authorized… BAM! I hit the breaking point. And for the first time in my life (honest!) I was not only rude to a service rep but crude as well. “Oh, fuck it!” I yelled and slammed down the phone.
It has been 2 hours since this went down. My adrenaline is still pumping. I had to tell someone. So I told you!
Side note: I went back on their website about 30 minutes later and checked the billing page. Sure enough, the new number was now in use. The call was for naught. My checks are a little red. lol